Saturday, June 27, 2015

Defense of Bykhov

Now that I have all my good firestorm troops in Berezino instead of Bykhov, Dave is attacking me in Bykhov to cut off supplies to Mogilev and Orsha.
We're playing a free-for all in somewhat clearer terrain. He's attacking my infantry with tanks! While an atypical choice for him, I have to say it kind of makes sense.
My Sturmkompanie:
2 platoons of infantry
MG platoon
Infantry guns
5 PaK40s in 2 platoons
3 flak guns
2 Tigers
Firestorm troops: 1 platoon of armored infantry
 
Dave's tanks:
2 T-34 companies (some 85s mixed in)
3 SU-122s
1 infantry company (nothing special for once)
6 T-70 light tanks
Firestorm troops: Air support, 5 SU-76s
 
Here are the pics!
Deployment. I have the half-tracks on the left and infantry on the right.
He double-timed 32 inches onto my flank! T-34s...
On the other flank he starts advancing and destroys a halftrack.
My halftracks take my first blood, then the infantry got under cover.
My tigers start playing peekaboo.
That's a lot of tanks.
It seems more manageable on my left.
The PaK40s take care of the SU-122 bunker busters.
Then I lose one of the guns.
The Soviet cowards hide in the field!
I get bombed frequently. It has no effect but to pin me. Also you will notice our incredible aviation budget. It's like staff teams.
The PaK guns kill some T-34s then move over to defend my flank.
I set up to assault the SU-76s (they are defenseless) then get pinned.
I then get counterassaulted and lose almost everyone.
A massive tank assault forces me almost all the way off the objective.
My heroic flak gun commander destroys 2 baby tanks!
My tigers have started moving to the rescue. Too slow?
The left flank seems to have stagnated.
 There was an assault. Both sides took light casualties before the Soviet cowards retreated!
They formed up so I can't contest the objective.
I duly fail to contest, then Dave wins the game.
 
I needed to use halftracks and/or Tigers as reserves. That or trust concealed veterancy to keep my Tigers safe and inflict heavier losses. Dave did well using his superior mobility to kick half of my forces' butts while ignoring the other half.
 
I've lost Bykhov now and that's gonna hurt. Orsha and Mogilev will suffer the effects of out-of-supply when Dave attacks them next.
Our next battle will be my counterattack; I hope to have it up sometime this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment