Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Battle Report #4: Battling for the Pass

This is the first of probably three Warhammer Fantasy Battles reports fought against my father before I move on to yet other things... probably either Ancients of some sort or some Sci-fi thing.
One thing you will note is that I was supposed to be commanding the Dwarves against my father's Daemons, but instead the reverse is true. This is because we did fight a battle the former way, and I took pictures and such, and then we switched sides the next night, the 23rd of June. But when I went to process the pictures yesterday, I could only find pictures of the second battle, in which we had switched armies. Sorry for any confusion, anger, or disappointment!
Forces... 2250 Points... WARNING: This is long, feel free to skip past this to the Scenario section if you like.
Jordan:
Daemons of Chaos, 100% Khorne
Lords: Sophie, Bloodthirster of Khorne... 550 points
                    Awesome Strength... Strength 10
                    Immortal Fury... Always has Hatred. Always.
Heroes: Herald of Khorne... 250 Points
                    Obsidian Armor... 3+ Armor, no magic weapons
                    Battle Standard Bearer
                              Great Icon of Despair... All enemy units within 12 inches have -2 Leadership
Core: 43 Bloodletters of Khorne... 571 points
                    Full Command
                              Icon of Endless War... +D6 inches to first charge
Special: 5 Flesh Hounds of Khorne...175 points
              5 Khorne Dogs... 175 points
              5 Blood Puppies... 175 points... All 3 of these units are the exact same, but I gave them names to justify typing it 3 times. So sue me.
Rare: 4 Bloodcrushers of Khorne...330 points
                    Full Command
Dave:
Dwarves, my tournament list
Lords: Jordan the Dwarf Lord... 273 points
                    Shield
                    Weapon with Master Rune of Skalf Blackhammer and Rune of Fury... Strikes with strength 2 higher than target's toughness, +1 Attack
                    Armor with Master Rune of Gromril... 1+ Armor save
           Bob the Runelord... 223 points
                    Shield
                    Armor with Rune of Stone... +1 to Armor Save
                    Talisman with Rune of Spellbreaking and Rune of Spelleating... Dispel Scroll and Dispel Scroll with 4+ chance of destroying spell
Heroes: Boris the Thane...90 points
                    Battle Standard Bearer
              Bobo the Master Engineer...70 points
Core: 21 Longbeards... 277 points
                    Full Command
                    Shields
          20 Warriors... 205 points
                    Full Command
                    Shields
          10 Thunderers (Handgunners)... 140 points
          10 Quarrelers (Crossbowmen/dwarves)... 110 points
          10 Quarrelers... 110 points
Special: 19 Ironbreakers... 297 points
                    Full Command
                    Standard with Rune of Determination... take 1 break test on 1D6
             Bolt Thrower... 45 points
             Bolt Thrower... 125 points
               2 Runes of Penetrating, Master Rune of Skewering... +2 Strength, Once per Game, hit on 2+
             Grudge Thrower (Stone Thrower)... 145 Points
                   Engineer
                   Rune of Penetrating, Rune of Accuracy... +1 Strength, Re-roll scatter dice
Rare: Gyrocopter... 140 points
Scenario:
Battle for the Pass was rolled up. This is a lengthwise thing, with opposing armies starting 24 inches apart and trying to beat each other to pieces.
Terrain
No pictures again! I've got to get better about that! There's trees in between 2 hills in the middle, with more trees in one corner and a hill in another.
Deployment
I line my battle line up on the edge of my deployment zone.
Dave puts the Dwarves in kind of a concave formation. The longbeards are out of sight behind the trees on the right.
Turn 1
 My line surges forward at highest possible speed.
The bloodletters are still mired within the jungle.
Lots of shooting, there. 
I think and hope this is the only rotated picture in this batch. Shooting got both my exterior units of flesh hounds.
Turn 2
 All my cavalry charged to start off turn 2.
 The quarrelers in the woods fled, causing Sophie to fail her charge.
 The Bloodcrushers overran the Thunderers and ended up in the Ironbreakers. Not exactly where I wanted them to be.
 Nothing happened here. This combat was pitiful.
My one set of flesh hounds killed the bolt thrower crew, going through the difficult terrain where one died. The others bounced off the longbeards.
 The quarrelers in the woods rallied, but they will never again have an effect upon the battle. Meanwhile, the longbeards, with the lord in them, charge Sophie.
 In combat, a couple of Ironbreakers die, and the flesh hounds roll over the quarrelers.
The lord inflicts three wounds on Sophie after she shaves two ranks off the longbeards. That runic weapon is a nice thing.
 Turn 3
 More combat sees one destroyed bloodcrusher and many dead dwarves. Maybe this wasn't so bad.
Sophie died! Greater daemons of Khorne aren't supposed to do that! It's the damned runic weapon! She did shave another rank off the longbeards, though.
 Crud. I jinxed it, and now all the bloodcrushers are destroyed. My bad.
 Here, on turn 3, are the bloodletters' first casualties of the game. My reasoning is that Khorne hates cowardly missile troops and barbecues, so he saved his bloodletters from it.
The longbeards reformed and prepared to flank the bloodletters.
 Turn 4
 My flesh hounds charge piecemeal into the flank of the ironbreakers.
 Meanwhile, my other puppies are in combat with the Grudge thrower and the bloodletters advance inexorably forward. Slowly, but inexorably.
 As expected, the flesh hounds died. Oh well.
The grudge thrower is now crewless, though.
 Khorne has now discovered the wonders  of barbecue for himself, so the gyrocopter barbecues a whole bunch of bloodletters.
 It's pretty grim by now.
 The start of combat...
Versus the end.
Turn 5
 Dwarves? Fleeing?! That ain't right!
 My bloodletters may have failed a charge...
 But they redirect into the bolt thrower, which they steamroll with ease.
 The futility  can easily be realized, though...
The ironbreakers rallied, and I now notice that I failed to remove those skulls. Oh, well.
Dwarves Win!
 
Conclusions
I have massacred and been massacred with the Khorne Daemons, and this was one of those days where I lost big.
What could I have done better?
I can't make any comments about list composition, because this is my father's list.
I think I deployed pretty well, and I am not a master of this army so I can't really tell.
In gameplay, I should have coordinated my charges more, so I could actually kill something on my left, maybe with Sophie and a unit of dogs at the same time.
I think my bloodletters need a higher rate of movement, heh heh.
Next up on Jordan Wargames, my dwarves take on some Orcs from last edition, which are not all that effective, in hopes of getting a win. It's still hard fought, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment